Can Square Dancing Survive
The ASDSC (Associated Square Dancers of Superior California) recently conducted a survey to find out how dancers feel about returning to square dancing once the Stay-At-Home orders are lifted. The answers were both interesting and frightening.
- The survey is still accepting responses. To add your responses to the survey click Returning to Square Dancing Survey.
The first question in this 2 question survey asks dancers, “When do you plan to start square dancing again?”
There are 148 responses so far. The results, at the time of this post, are shown below:
- 68 (45.9%) I will start dancing as soon as the halls are opened up. Just tell me when and where and I will be there!
- 33 (22.3%) I really want to start dancing again but I will wait until there is a vaccine available for COVID-19.
- 2 (1.4%) I have decided to hang up my dancing shoes. My dancing days are over.
- 45 (30.4%) Other.
The second question asks if there are any other restrictions and/or objections that would need to be considered for you to dance again.
Following is sample of the responses which were received. For a complete list click: Survey Results – 1.
- Lots of hand sanitizer.
- When scientific data shows that is safe, or safe methods are available for close/somewhat intimate/ and physical contact. Do not overestimate the need for revenue over safety of dancers.
- I won’t be bringing or eating the food for awhile though. But I will dance!
- Would like to see temperatures taken at the door and an entry hand sanitizer station.
- If a proven effective vaccine of some kind is developed, we’d start dancing again soon after.
- No new cases for a month.
How many of you feel your clubs can survive COVID-19 if less than half of your dancers will return before a vaccine is developed?
We would love to hear your thoughts.